Never mind those over-processed mock meats, oyster mushrooms have your back! A wholefood that’s high in protein, fiber, iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, selenium, calcium, folate (B9), vitamins B1, B3, B5 & B12, and vitamin C and vitamin D ☀️🍄 Here are a few tips when making this recipe...
You can use regular Pearl Oyster mushies, or King Oyster mushies, OR you can use jackfruit!
The marinade should be enough for about 800g of jackfruit. Use organic where you can.
Coconut oil solidifies, so don't put the marinade in the fridge, let the mushrooms return to room temperature first, and be mindful if the weather is cold.
The mushies don’t need to marinate for too long as they’re super spongey and soak up the marinade easily.
If using jackfruit, marinate for at least 2 hours. I find it easiest to marinate in an airtight container, as it's easy to shake and turn upside down
🙃 Paprika has a spicy kick to it, so add 2 tsp if you like it! Otherwise try 1 - 1.5tsp 🌶 Organic sourdough is the only gluten/bread that I eat.
I highlight organic because regular wheat contains glyphosate (from Round Up) and I’m trying not to consume food that’s been sprayed with it (will post about this soon).
Also, true sourdough should ferment for at least 24 hours. Most of the gluten dissipates when prepared properly, and true sourdough doesn’t contain added yeast. I avoid added yeast when I can. But use any rolls or wraps that you prefer!
🍞 Makes 2 of these baguettes. If you make this, tag me! ENJOY! 🍄😍😪
2 tbsp tamari sauce (salt-reduced)
2 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp olive oil or melted coconut oil
1 - 2 tsp paprika 300g oyster mushrooms
Shredded romaine (cos) lettuce
- Add tamari, coconut sugar, oil and paprika to an airtight container with a lid. Mix well.
- Wash, dry and slice mushrooms lengthways.
- Add mushrooms to the container, put the lid on, and shake well until mushrooms are completely covered.
- To a hot pan, add mushrooms and marinade and saute until it reduces. Should take about 5 - 10 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, slice the baguette in half, lengthways, and grill in the oven, about 5 mins or until golden brown.
-Once the mushrooms are cooked, place them on a wooden chopping board and use 2 forks to 'pull' the mushrooms.
-Spread avocado on the toasted baguette, add romaine, then top with mushrooms.